- RSS Channel Showcase 6595250
- RSS Channel Showcase 1388988
- RSS Channel Showcase 3140849
- RSS Channel Showcase 3807392
Articles on this Page
- 05/01/15--04:27: _Prayers for Global ...
- 09/30/15--01:00: _Now that’s what I c...
- 10/13/15--14:25: _Thank you for the m...
- 02/10/16--02:14: _Have mercy, Lord: a...
- 02/13/16--14:05: _St Augustine’s Hymn
- 02/22/16--08:47: _Praying with the Pr...
- 05/13/16--02:00: _A prayer for Dement...
- 08/25/16--05:11: _How important is li...
- 12/28/16--14:01: _Liturgy: words for ...
- 02/27/17--15:32: _Desert song: hymnin...
- 10/09/17--12:27: _Praying for the hea...
- 02/18/18--01:00: _Hymns for Lent
- 05/01/15--04:27: Prayers for Global and Economic Justice
- 09/30/15--01:00: Now that’s what I call taking a collection
- 10/13/15--14:25: Thank you for the music
- 02/10/16--02:14: Have mercy, Lord: a psalm for Ash Wednesday
- 02/13/16--14:05: St Augustine’s Hymn
- 02/22/16--08:47: Praying with the Prodigal Son
- 05/13/16--02:00: A prayer for Dementia Awareness week
- 08/25/16--05:11: How important is literacy for liturgy?
- 12/28/16--14:01: Liturgy: words for speaking, not for reading
- 02/27/17--15:32: Desert song: hymning the temptation
- 10/09/17--12:27: Praying for the health service
- 02/18/18--01:00: Hymns for Lent
We’ve had a year in our diocese of focussing on issues of tax and economic justice, which concluded with a service of repentance, prayer and celebration earlier this week. This has been done in partnership with Christian Aid and Church
I’ve just started processing some of the video I brought back from last month’s trip to Africa. But here’s a simple short clip of how they “take the collection” in church. In this country we make it as unobtrusive as
I was delighted to discover via Twitter that Kathryn Rose ( @artsyhonker ) has got this recording of her fine tune Harringey on the London Festival of Contemporary Church Music. (And see Kathryn’s website version here.) I am absurdly pleased
I thought I would offer this metrical version of Psalm 51, both as a meditation for the day, and for those who want to use it in Lent. I had in mind the Passion Chorale as the tune, when writing
There are a limited number of hymns suitable for Lent. The other day I posted a metrical version of Psalm 51. Some months back I reposted an earlier hymn, based on the temptation narratives, with a link to Kathryn Rose’s
The below is a suitably Lenten preface for Eucharistic prayers that takes up the story of the prodigal son / indulgent father as its basic narrative of forgiveness and celebration. (The illustration above is a painting from 1872 by Pierre Puvis
Dementia Awareness week begins on Sunday. Do take a look at the material on the Alzheimer’s Society site. (The picture above comes from them.) If anyone’s still looking for resources, here’s a prayer you can use. God of hope and
Having read this morning’s post, a friend and colleague left this comment on Facebook: Can’t help but wonder how much of church language is actually intelligible. Readability tests on our liturgy shows it presumes a literacy level well beyond many
The Christmas issue of the Church Times included an article in favour of applying readability testing to the Church’s liturgy. It’s a summary of the author’s own thesis. The article wasn’t helped by some dodgy subbing. In the text, he
With Lent just about to arrive, it’s time to offer a retrieval from a past blog. Here is a hymn on the theme of the temptations of Christ. The tune I had in mind when I wrote it was Picardy.
As part of a diocesan resource to help people pray this St Luke’s tide for the health service, I’ve written these propers for a eucharist (although some of them can obviously be used outside the context of eucharistic worship). I thought I’d post below a slightly edited version here for others also to use as …
I’ve found that Lent has comparatively few hymns for such a lengthy season. In the past I’ve posted drafts of several new ones of my own attempting, and I thought I might gather the links here in case anyone is looking for something different. A hymn on the temptations St Augustine’s Prayer Psalm 51 From …